[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-qa] 3.5.0 QA ... from BHS 1 to BHS 2

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Thu Jan 26 04:22:37 PST 2012

Hi Petr,

Petr Mladek wrote (25-01-12 10:57)

> Please, look at
> http://download.go-oo.org/lo/lo-release-plan-in-colors.png

I recognise that one - you showed it in Paris and we discussed it. See
my slide #23 ;-)

> =>  developers spend a lot of time on bug fixing
>

> Here are the commit statistics from weeks between 3.4.0-beta1 and
> 3.5.0-beta1:
> [...]

great data. also to point others to. However not so easy to interpreted.
Because much the remaining 90 + % of the commits will be related to
improving building, code etc etc. and indeed:

> Note that the real numbers are higher because developers sometimes do
> not mention the fixed bug number in commit messages.
> [...]
>
> Anyway, it shows that developers fix bugs all the time. They do not
> spend months working only on features!

that is why we work to make happen that, over time, the ratio
    'spent on features' /  'spent on bug fixing'
can increase (of course without loosing on quality).

>> - 45068 Update from 3.4.4 on Win not possible without ...

> =>  The problem was that it was hidden in the swamp of other bugs and
> newer assigned to a developer who could look at it

that is what I say: as for now we do not always get important bugs
visible in time - although they may well be reported.

>> - 41054 Saving problem ods with new sheets
> =>  again the same problem with hidden bug in the swamp

indeed, the same problem

>> - 39118 Charts do not update
> =>  there were more important bugs that needed to be fixed before

I won't argue that. But also here the process of getting attention in
time is not optimal

> Kohei, Markus, and Eike are excellent guys. They really take care about
> bug reports and fix one after each other. I sometimes can't belief how
> many bugs they fix every day.

I really love those guys :-) , extremely appreciate all they do, and
have great confidence in all good that they do now and even will bring
more in the future.

> We are very careful about backporting fixes because we do not want
> regressions. It means that it is a bit painful and time consuming. We
> need a good balance here.

Agree.

> I do not say that our processes are perfect. They can be surely
> improved. [...]

and we work on that, as you too explain in the following:

> My feeling is:
> [...]

> + people still do not have correct expectations about the .0 release;
>    I am afraid that many people still expect that it should be perfect

will start working on that for the 3.5.0

> Otherwise, I hear relatively positive feedback about 3.5.0 betas and
> rcs. I feel that we are in much better situation than with 3.4.0.

I fully agree here. Still - and that was what I tried to explain, and
what you confirmed by the examples - we have to be aware that our
process is not yet good enough.

Thanks for your answer and insight,

--
  - Cor