[REVIEW 3-6, 3-6-0] fdo#50345 accept empty string as scalar numeric 0 argument

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 07:10:48 PDT 2012

On 07/20/2012 10:04 AM, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 17:58 +0200, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
>> Hey Eike, Kohei,
>> 2012/7/19 Kohei Yoshida <kohei.yoshida at gmail.com>:
>> I'm also not fully convinced of this patch. This behavior has been in
>> Libreoffice since the start so IMHO it is more important to keep the
>> behavior for all the LibO users than to change it again to please
>> potential users switching from OOo.
>>
>> I think the only sane solution that will please both sides is to have
>> it as configuration option but I'm not thrilled to see the default
>> behavior changed again.
>
> FWIW, what would the ideal situation be if had a time machine ? e.g.
> Would a compatibility option of TreatEmptyCellsAsZero that defaulted to
> true if unset, and LibreOffice >= X.Y exported it as false have made
> sense ?

IMO the most sane solution is to make it configurable, and let the user
choose which way she prefers.  We could try to be smart and detect the
version of the document and change the behavior, but that will open up
another can of worms.

I'll add this configuration option during 3.7 cycle if this can wait
until 3.7.  If you guys need it earlier than that I could work on it and
push it as a late feature if it's desperately needed for 3.6.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc