gbuild deps: removed header

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 02:37:17 PDT 2012

On 23/07/12 08:14, David Tardon wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 09:01:45PM +0200, Matúš Kukan wrote:
>>
>> But what works is if we use
>> /home/matus/git/libo/solver/unxlngx6.pro/inc/foo.h:
>>     @true
>>
>> instead of just
>> /home/matus/git/libo/solver/unxlngx6.pro/inc/foo.h:
>>
>> Do we want to hack contac-deps and add @true there ?
>> Is there another option or is this just wrong ?
>
> IMHO this will cause problems for headers in solver, because a specific
> rule for a file overrides a pattern rule, which means that delivery of
> changed headers will stop working.

indeed.

and before you propose to add the deliver rule instead of "true", note
that Bjoern found out years ago that GNU make will slow down horribly
with >10000 explicit rules, which is why gbuild mostly uses pattern rules.

the _real_ fix for this is to get rid of the silly practice of
"delivering" header files; that way the only headers that can cause such
breakage are generated (IDL) and external library headers, neither of
which tend to be removed often.

so we'll have to wait for the AOO rebase and then perhaps convert a few
more modules, then we can move all headers around etc.

>> Also, I am wondering, has this ever been working before ?
>
> I do not think it has. (Note that this is a problem with idl and hrc
> files too.)

it does work for the headers that are not delivered or generated (i.e.
module internal headers).