Definition of draw:angle in ODF1.2 does not fit to implementation

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Mon Jul 30 13:21:11 PDT 2012

There appear to be three considerations:

 1. What is type and unit of draw:angle in the <draw:gradient> element?
    In ODF 1.0, ODF 1.1, and ISO/IEC 26300:2006 (now aligned with ODF 1.1), the type is integer and there is no explanation of the scale of the unit.  ODF 1.2 gives special attention to the integer case and observes that the unitless integer is all that works for down-level compatibility with ODF 1.1 consumers.

    If it is to be decreed that all/most implementations are correct and the specification has been left incorrect since 2005, that is a very difficult situation.  I assume the correct statement is that the unit for draw:angle is 0.1 degree.

 2. Orientation?
    The orientation leaves much to be described, since it is a vector that is rotated, not an axis.  It appears that practice and what little is said in the specifications satisfy standard geometric practice, as follows:

    a. Consider a vector that lies along the X axis with orientation in the positive-X direction.
    b. A positive rotation of that vector by 90 degrees will place the vector along the Y axis with the positive-X points now at the same positions on the positive-Y axis, etc.  The draw-angle will be 90 degrees (however expressed).
    c. More generally, the angle is that of the positive-gradient vector (from the origin) with the positive-X vector (from the origin), as measured from the positive-X vector rotating toward (and through, if necessary) the positive-Y vector direction.

(This is anti-clockwise in the standard geometric orientation.  When projected onto the page, this appears to be clockwise because the origin tends to be in the upper left corner and the positive-Y direction is downward, the positve-X direction is rightward.)

I suspect this can be clarified easily in all of ODF 1.0 through ODF 1.2, since there seems to be no conflict with implementations.  Conversions to and from other formats need to be attentive to any difference in the reference orientation of axes and definition of the angle.

 3. Non-Integer Types and Values?

Allowing fractional values and units in draw:angle seems to be problematic and it does not directly deal with the integer type expression of 0.1-degree intervals.

I agree that should be done by switching to SVG cases when available (and there should be more alignment of that in ODF 1.3).

This means that draw:angle should probably continue to be expressed in plain integers with a clarification that the unit is 0.1-degrees.

That would at least limit the damage of this persistent discrepancy between practice and the specification.

 - Dennis