probabilistic approach to tinderboxing

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Jun 13 06:53:38 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 08:00:12AM -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> Well... it _should_ be buildable at each step of the patch series...
> if not, clean-it up, it is not yet 'published' in the git sens of the
> term so you still have a chance to git rebase -i to fix things up.
>
> Building at each commit is very important to have useful bisections.

But we are doing that not now as pushes are atomic (or more precise:
ref-updates are), so tinderboxes wouldnt see a half-push. Also all patches in a
series have the same owner, so blaming is easy. The first goal of the
tinderboxes is to have the master tip buildable all times -- having it
buildable at every random commit is secondary. Also: bibisect etc. could be
taught to only look for commits where the next commit date is at least 5 minutes
off.

Best,

Bjoern