Status of OOXML support in Libre Office

Aakriti Gupta aakriti.a.gupta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 23:05:34 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com>wrote:

> Hi Aakriti,
>
> On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 16:10 +0530, Aakriti Gupta wrote:
> > I am looking for a tool to convert MS Office file formats to pdfs.
> > I have been investigating the support for OOXML by LibreOffice,
> > specifically, export of OOXML formats to PDF.
>
>         Sounds like LibreOffice would be an ideal tool for that; you can
> do a
> command line conversion with --convert-to - run soffice --help to see
> some examples.
>
> > These are certain obvious bugs which have been filed too:
> > - The gradient in background colors, shapes, etc. is exported
> > incorrectly. (e.g. bug 45505 )
> > - The text effects, like shadow, soft edges, glow, etc. are missing
> > (e.g. bug 44135)
>
>         There are always plenty of bugs :-) This is a developers list -
> where
> you can expect code pointers to help hack on and fix such bugs, and
> review / merging of any patches you've come up with.
>
> > - Embedded charts, etc. are missing
>
>         That surprises me.
>
> > I'd like to know the status of these issues. Are developers working on
> > any of these or are there any technical difficulties in fixing these
> > bugs?
>
>         If the bug doesn't say anyone is working on it - it's a good sign
> that
> they are not. However - unless you yourself want to work on it - this is
> not a great forum to discuss bugs in - go to the discuss list for that.
>
>        If you are a non-developer and need bugs fixing to your timeline it
> is
> best to contract support for that from one of the many companies
> providing those services around LibreOffice :-) That way you can help
> the developer : bug imbalance for the project !

I am currently interning at a company and my project is to find/improve a
tool for exporting MS Office formats to PDFs. A huge number of documents
would need to be converted to pdfs.

Could you suggest the approximate time in which this goal could be
achieved, considering that I'm totally new to LibreOffice?

I have about 4 weeks to work on this project as part of the internship.
Could you suggest which of these issues could be fixed in this timeframe?

The feasibility of fixing a considerable number of issues in the given
timeframe would help them decide the best option for this project.

       All the best,

--
Thanks!

-Aakriti