shiny uno version, Desktop IDL

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Jun 14 04:56:18 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 12:50 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> That way, at least for this specific case of the Desktop service, we
> nicely avoid any published-vs.-unpublished problems, anyway:  Leave the
> old Desktop service untouched (just mark it as deprecated in favor of
> the new), and create a new singleton theDesktop (or even theApplication,
> I have no big opinion on what is a good name there) that implements the
> new XDesktop2 (or whatever is deemed the best name there).

	Sounds good - I'd prefer Application to the anachronistic Desktop or
worse 'Desktop2' but ... as you like.

> queryInterface is largely un-needed with new-style UNO (and not needed
> from scripting languages, anyway).

	Ah - good :-) if that's so, I'm much less worried. As long as the
experience is one of lots of type information that doesn't get hidden
behind Any's and turns into a nice deep tree of strongly typed
interfaces I'm excessively happy.

> Short of writing, say, IDE plugins that make discoverable the dynamic
> set of  services/singletons available in some given UNO environment

	Which sounds like a pain.

>  one could envision a special "fat master entity" for such (scripting)
> environments, that consists of accessors for all the statically known
> services/singletons of udkapi+offapi, say.

	Sure sure - of course, I guess there is a load of unwanted cruft there,
so we can easily get some wood-for-trees problem; IMHO a single, simple
top-level Application object with some easy-to-use methods for simple
use-cases is still a good idea, but - this is a lot better already.

> So, I think improving practical usability of UNO is possible without
> introducing arbitrary fat helper objects.  All it takes is to finally
> and consistently realize those new-style UNO concepts...

	:-) At least, now I remember again what you've been doing here it does
indeed sound rather nice.

	ATB,

		Michael.