minutes of ESC call ..., compiling HSQLDB to executable

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Jun 15 02:19:06 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 18:17 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> On 2012-06-14 17:13, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > * SQLite vs. HSQLDB for base (Lionel)
> Given that the primary problem with HSQLDB is that we need a java-vm
> installed to make it work, has anyone considered using
> http://vmkit.llvm.org/
> to compile HSQLDB into an exe, and then running it as a separate process
> which LO can talk to over a local socket?
>
> I have some experience with this kind of thing (compiling Java to EXE)
> and IMNSHO, it's very do-able.

	Wow - so. If we have something like this that can work well (and I can
imagine all manner of fun Java/GC integration problems - particulary if
we have real Java (with GC) + llvm-java (with GC) + python (with GC) ;-)
who owns what signal can become quite exciting).

	Anyhow - if we can get this going, I'd love to do it first with
LanguageTool: it's Java-ness is what is blocking us bundling that by
default, and it'd be great to solve that before the HSQLDB issues I
guess.

	Any interest in playing with a prototype there ?

	ATB,

		Michael.