[ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Jun 20 05:55:53 PDT 2012

On Tuesday 19 of June 2012, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 05:04:58PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Which is the problem. Besides asking just to do that it should have also
> > said why one should do that. I'm one of the people who haven't done that,
> > because 'Do it because.' scores pretty low with my motivation.
>
> I hoped "as you otherwise will be completely locked out of commiting, once
> we switched over!" (as from that other mail) scores better in your
> motivation.

 I might have, had I noticed, but since this is an end of a sentence in the
middle of the mail inbetween two big blocks of commands, that was not the
case. And even if I had noticed, with the info I did (not) have, it's a
question what conclusion I would have drawn from it. As far as I was
concerned, it was a mail about getting accounts for some optional patch
review tool.

 If you don't want people to miss important information, you need to announce
it properly and not as some offhand remark. And announcing properly is not a
talk at conference to a limited audience, not random comments wherever, nor
mail asking for setting up an account without futher info (except for the
well-hidden remark). It may be nothing new to you, since you know it, but it
is new for people you haven't told.

 This is not about Gerrit itself. This is about the way it has (not) been
communicated.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz