[ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Jun 20 06:52:11 PDT 2012

On Wednesday 20 of June 2012, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 02:55:53PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  If you don't want people to miss important information, you need to
> > announce it properly and not as some offhand remark.
>
> A mail with "ACTION REQUIRED" in the subject is not an offhand remark.

 It is, if it doesn't clearly say why the action is required.

> Having called it out with vigor in the ESC multiple times, for example
> here:
>

> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/michael-meeks-suse-com-minutes-of-ESC-
>call-td3942653.html
>
> is _not_ an offhand remark.

"
* Use gerrit ! test it / give it a hard time (Bjoern)
        + the repo there will never get merged back,
          so play and try to do evil stuff.
        + https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/
        + Norbert to merge change-id tweak to git-hooks
"

 Besides, is every committer required to study ESC minutes?

> The only thing less "offhand" I can do, is
> writing on planet.documentfoundation.org that the gerrit installation is
> ready to go.

 No. Announcing something properly means announcing it in the right place
(this list), under an appropriate name and with clear description (such as
saying the important part in the first paragraph or at least saying it
clearly).

 Your blog or blog aggregator fail the first one, because not everybody reads
that. So until this thread, there has been only one announcement that was
sent to the right place that I can remember, where the name was so-so
("ACTION REQUIRED" is good, but "getting setup for gerrit" is not if you
don't tell people what gerrit is) and the description was fail ("we will move
to gerrit soon" doesn't mean much without futher info, and the remark about
losing commit access was easy to miss where it was). So in practice you have
just dropped a solution on us without saying much about it.

> Incidentally when I did that, we got a >30 post flamewar on
> the list.

 If there weren't problems with communicating this, why the three biggest
subthreads start with Caolan's "why gerrit?", Kendy's "how the new workflow
is supposed to look like?" and Petr's "first need to conclude that gerrit is
in usable state"? This thread is here for a reason.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz