[libreoffice-projects] [ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 00:09:14 PDT 2012

On 06/21/2012 08:08 AM, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM, David Ostrovsky
> <david.ostrovsky at gmx.de>  wrote:
[...]
> As I explained on IRC: someone that _is_ a Committer can do some
> modification and still push the patch with you as author and him as
> commiter (git allow that, if we used svn like some other Indians, your
> scenario - author does not appear in the log unless he is the commiter
> - would be the norm.
>
> a given patch can have only one author... you don't get shared credit
> on a single patch...
> the alternative is to push a broken patch and then another patch to
> correct it... that is pushing breakage that render bisection very
> painful only to be pedant about 'authorship'. no thanks
>
> You said: "it can not be solved with gerrit: only i can change my gerrit
> patch/change."

So it's probably more of an "it cannot be solved with git" (evolving a
patch in discrete steps and having information about the discrete steps
recorded in the final git history, yet hiding the steps in a single unit
for purposes of bisecting; one longs for such a feature occasionally).

As long as the standard gerrit workflow is to automatically preserve the
initial patch's authorship when pushing it (whereas having to manually
add comments about additional person's polishing activities into the git
commit message is acceptable, as with the current patch-on-ML workflow),
this is IMO OK.

Stephan