[libreoffice-projects] [ANN] Please use Gerrit from now on for Patch Review

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 23:08:38 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM, David Ostrovsky
<david.ostrovsky at gmx.de> wrote:
> While claiming other people's work to be your own may be not a problem in
> other contries,
> here in gemany it is: in fact minister of defence and other politicians
> stepped down for doing exactly that (copy/paste parts of their dissertation
> in that case).

This is software development... not Academic papers.

> And i would really like to see an commit author's face, if reviewer would
> say:
> Hey dude, i just entered some more comments to clarify what you have exactly
> done in your 10.000 changed line patch and
> have promoted it to repo ... with my user as author!
> This is obviously a no go.

Then fix your own patch...
As I explained on IRC: someone that _is_ a Committer can do some
modification and still push the patch with you as author and him as
commiter (git allow that, if we used svn like some other Indians, your
scenario - author does not appear in the log unless he is the commiter
- would be the norm.

a given patch can have only one author... you don't get shared credit
on a single patch...
the alternative is to push a broken patch and then another patch to
correct it... that is pushing breakage that render bisection very
painful only to be pedant about 'authorship'. no thanks

You said: "it can not be solved with gerrit: only i can change my gerrit
patch/change."

I illustrated that this assertion was false. I did not suggest that it
was the preferred way to do it, and as a matter of fact 'Committer'
have a way to do it more nicely by preserving the 'author' information
while correcting the patch for them.

> To make the things right and preserve the gerrit patch to be repo-pushable
> all the time,
> you have to conduct even more severe civil crime: to forge other people's
> identity ;-)
We do that all the time with patch we collect from the ML... very
often the commtiter 'polish' the patch and still credit the original
author for the whole thing..
the alternative is to reject the patch and tell the author to come
back with a fixed version... not exactly the kind of dev-friedlyness
we are aiming at.

> but then you would definitelly be put in prison for that ... and you said
> that you wanted visit LO congress this year ...

go ahead, sue me. Me, and every copy-editor of every german newspaper...

Norbert