vcl checkbox behaviour

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Thu Jun 28 11:02:53 PDT 2012

Hi Noel,

Noel Power píše v Čt 28. 06. 2012 v 13:36 +0100:

> >> I am somewhat stumbling over what would be best to do, change the
> >> underlying vcl class unconditionally ? ( that would imply the uno
> >> controls behaviour also changes unconditionally ) or ... if we change
> >> the underlying vcl class conditionally what about the uno controls?,
> >> should we change them also conditionally? or unconditionally? It would
> >> seem to me if there is some consensus that the 'normal' vcl behaviour is
> >> not that normal but is 'abnormal' then I would be inclined to change the
> >> vcl class unconditionally ( and similarly the behaviour of the dependant
> >> uno controls ) Any thoughts ?
> > So the behavior sound curious to me; but OTOH nearly sounds as if
> > somebody did that deliberately.  Do you have pointers to the code where
> > does the "apply the Align property on the control itself" live?  Any
> > history that would be of some worth around there?
> no like I mentioned earlier in the mail the behaviour is indeed
> intentional see
> http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/vcl/source/control/button.cxx#3209
> However, I just don't understand why it, historically this behaviour
> seems to be there for quite a while, the last change around there was
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=d727e1094312e34fedc2bfdb12b43c109a954054
> which adds a new logic leg  for checkboxes with images ( which is a
> strange concept for me too :-) )

Actually the "for quite a while" spans to
8ab086b6cc054501bfbf7ef6fa509c393691e860, the inital import of
button.cxx to CVS :-( - it has been imported in 2000 with this already
in place.

Looking deeper, I thought that the 'alignment of checkboxes without
text' behavior might make sense for the dialogs like Tools -> Options ->
Load/Save -> Microsoft Office and alike, where you'd want to center the
checkbox; but it seems to me that it is actually SvLBoxButton that is
used there, not CheckBox.

So - can you in any way check if we are actually using this CheckBox
feature anywhere in the UI?  [Ie. if we construct a CheckBox without
text, but with WB_CENTER or WB_RIGHT?]  If we do not use it, I'd get rid
of that [even in UNO controls and everywhere], as you proposed.

Regards,
Kendy