vcl checkbox behaviour

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Fri Jun 29 02:09:37 PDT 2012

On 28/06/12 19:02, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
[...]
> Actually the "for quite a while" spans to
> 8ab086b6cc054501bfbf7ef6fa509c393691e860, the inital import of
> button.cxx to CVS :-( - it has been imported in 2000 with this already
> in place. Looking deeper, I thought that the 'alignment of checkboxes
> without text' behavior might make sense for the dialogs like Tools ->
> Options -> Load/Save -> Microsoft Office and alike, where you'd want
> to center the checkbox;
sure and any such instances could be covered by setting the bounding box
of the checkbox appropriately I guess
> but it seems to me that it is actually SvLBoxButton that is used
> there, not CheckBox.
so no issue there ( but don't forget radio buttons afaict are also
treated the same way and probably would make sense to change them also )
> So - can you in any way check if we are actually using this CheckBox
> feature anywhere in the UI? [Ie. if we construct a CheckBox without
> text, but with WB_CENTER or WB_RIGHT?] If we do not use it, I'd get
> rid of that [even in UNO controls and everywhere], as you proposed.
> Regards, Kendy
yes, I will try to check ( hopefully without missing anything ) :-) I
would also like to make an enhancement to really control the alignment
of the control itself e.g. either left or right. This would not affect
the behaviour previously described ( which is more about the
justification of the label ) but the position of the label relative to
the control e.g.

- control aligned left:

[x] some label

- control aligned right:

some label [x]

again such an enhancement is driven by interoperability but... one step
at a time :-)

Noel