What could be the problem when make gets into a loop in sax, continuously compiling facreg.cxx?

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 08:25:17 PST 2012

On 01/03/12 11:09, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> No errors or warnings are printed. make -sr clean doesn't help. This
> started happening suddenly today. This is in a cross-compilation.
> ccache isn't used. (I normally do use ccache but dropped it now to see
> if it would help: No...)
>
> mymlan:sax tml$ make -sr
> /Users/tml/lo/ios/sax/Library_fastsax.mk:56:
> [ WARN   ] !!!
> [ WARN   ] !!! sax/source/expatwrap/xml2utf is linked in by
> Library/expwrap.uno.a Library/fastsax.uno.a
> [ WARN   ] !!!
> [ build CXX ] sax/source/fastparser/facreg.cxx
> [ build DEP ] LNK:Library/fastsax.uno.a

> The output of make -dr (three rounds before interrupted) is attached...

finally had time for a look, the problem is this:

> Prerequisite `/Users/tml/lo/ios/sax/source/fastparser/tools/fastserializer.hxx' of target `/Users/tml/lo/ios/workdir/unxiosr.pro/CxxObject/sax/source/fastparser/facreg.o' does not exist.

in my master workdir there is indeed no such file:

> [0] ms at fedorapad:/data/lo/core_master > ls sax/source/fastparser/tools/fastserializer.hxx
> ls: cannot access sax/source/fastparser/tools/fastserializer.hxx: No such file or directory
> [2] ms at fedorapad:/data/lo/core_master > ls sax/source/tools/fastserializer.hxxsax/source/tools/fastserializer.hxx
> sax/source/tools/fastserializer.hxx

the latter has been added in 2009 according to git log.

looks like your gcc writes broken dependency makefiles, can you verify
that
/Users/tml/lo/ios/workdir/unxiosr.pro/Dep/CxxObject/sax/source/fastparser/facreg.d
indeed lists this non-existant file?

what gcc version do you use... oh, that's an unusual one :)

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++