gsoc 2012 idea,Java Guifor Libreoffice based andriod app

Jonathan Aquilina eagles051387 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 00:22:03 PDT 2012

On 3/26/12 1:20 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Vivek,
>
> On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 23:28 +0530, vivek nalla wrote:
>>       I am vivek nalla , first year undergraduate student from bits
>> pilani institution india. Since i am a fresher out of school, i didn't
>> get a chance to contribute to opensource.

First of all I would like to welcome you :) to the project.
> 	Great to meet you.
>
>>   I am very  much interested in the project suggested by libreOffice
>> Java Gui for LibreOffice based Andriod app.
> 	Ok - so this is really quite a substantial task :-) I would set about
> getting a cross-compile from the feature/android branch, by following
> the README.Android instructions. I'd want to be sure you could follow
> the steps and effectively build and run that in the emulator :-)
>
>>   Also i would like to ask you about the details of the project as the
>> ideas page contains very abstract idea. I will be grateful to you if
>> anyone could help me tell what actually the goals and milestones of
> 	So - of course, you'll need to think and come up with some of this
> yourself. What do you think is achievable in the time, and so on. Having
> said that, Tor's abstract is just a tad abstract ;-)
>
> 	There are a number of things that need doing there, Eagles may have
> produced at least a start of something here. We're going to need to
> produce a shell that deals with pages as a series of tiled bitmaps I
> suspect, allow flipping between them, thumbnailing of pages etc. there
> is a chunk of work in making that work nicely - and this is primarily
> what the task is about.

I have already started a project for the UI work for the android port.
Currently I only have the main application selector done, and I would
like to make a further improvement to it before starting other menus for
the various apps.

I have a git hub repository which has the eclipse project I created so
far: https://github.com/eagles051387/LibreOffice-Android-UI-

Michael, I know there has been some chatter on the mailing list from tml
and oddities with dalvik, does that mean he is working on integrating
the core with a UI such as mine, or is he working on other things?

As well the very tricky, but interesting part is integration of the core
code using the NDK, which is currently where I am held up.
> 	The heavy-duty guts of rendering a word processing document are not
> your problem for this task :-) you should treat that as a black-box that
> presents you with a set of pages of a given geometry, and renders them
> to pixels / bitmaps for you.
>
> 	Does that make sense ? Tor - I hope that's what you intended, I'll
> update the task page to say the above ;-)
>
> 	ATB,
>
> 		Michael.

If you have any questions dont hesitate to contact the list, and I look
forward to working with you to put together a killer UI for this great
project and port to Android.

Regards
Jonathan