[GSOC] Template UI Dialog

Rafael Dominguez venccsralph at gmail.com
Wed May 2 18:32:47 PDT 2012

Hello, im Rafael Dominguez, im from venezuela, first i would like to thank
all the gsoc mentors for selecting me!!! Im really looking foward to work
on the selected project.

My proposal is refactor and design a new dialog to manage libreoffice
templates (New templates picking UI). This templates could be fetched from
local repositories or remote ones using the CMIS protocol.

In a general sense, the schedule will be something like this:

1. - Evaluate the current design proposal in
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Templates_and_documents_rework,
discuss missing ideas or known issues with UX team and finish working on
the spec draft.

    - Specially these types of questions

   - Can we retrieve ratings??

   - Is it possible to import styles/color schemes or something similar?

 2. - Draft required elements needed in the template dialog and repository,
like information to be stored on the repos, how to access, information
required to store locally (where and how).

   -      A good idea would just be to save the template locally and only
   keep like a sort of link to the user folders created by the user to save
   space and memory.

   -      In the preview option we could save an example picture of how the
   template looks like since that will always keep constant.

   - What type of metadata we gonna use?

3. - Study how current template system works and which functionality could
be reused or not.

4. - Implement template dialog with the final spec and use cases.

5. - Implement repository management functionality.

   - Add, remove, change, list, set active repositories.

 6. - Integrate libreoffice template webpage with template manager thought
CMIS.

   - Setup infrastucture locally to work and test and then go remote for
   final testings.

 7. - Optional (enable template libreoffice page to work with CMIS)

8. - Optimize if needed.

9. - Document.