[GSoC2012] Introduction / Impress smartphone remote control

Andrzej J. R. Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Tue May 8 13:19:46 PDT 2012

Hi,

just a few small (code) organisational issues -- I'm not entirely sure
where it's best to place the code: there are going to be 3 components:
- The common code (thrift definition)
- The server component
- The android app

I thought it might be most appropriate to create a new folder in the
main libo directory e.g. "impressremote", which will contain the thrift
definitions and android app (with space to add more apps for other
smartphones).

  The server componentI think is best kept in sd/source/ui/remotecontrol
for the gui part, the actual server code could be there or in
sd/source/core/remotecontrol.

Since thrift isn't available as a standard package on most distros (and
windows) would it be appropriate to add downloading and building of
thrift to the makefiles? Or should I change the choice of RPC to use
something with simpler dependencies (thrift seems to be most suitable
from what I've been able to determine, although XML- or JSON-RPC
wouldn't really be a problem in terms of efficiency, what is more of an
issue is making these work bidirectionally -- another alternative is
scrapping RPC and implementing a custom messaging protocol, but this
would be less flexible for the case that someone wants to extend things
in the future -- in gmote they have a custom packet implemented as a
class for every command, with this object being serialised and then
sent, and deserialised at the other end -- although this wouldn't work
in our case since the server is in C++, and the client in an arbitrary
language).

Cheers,
Andrzej