ODF proposal for <number:fill-character> element

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Thu May 10 12:19:17 PDT 2012

On 09/05/12 19:53, Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday, 2012-04-24 21:31:41 +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
>
>> Given that I think we'd need a number:fill-character or some such
>> attribute to go with
>> 16.27 Data Styles
>> http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/cs01/OpenDocument-v1.2-cs01-part1.html#__RefHeading__1416346_253892949
>> with the limitation that it can be present only once (if that is what
>> Excel does) and specyfing what happens in these three conditions.
> Taking
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/How_to_propose_a_change_or_addition_to_ODF
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/ProposalTemplate
> here is what I could come up with.
>
> Noel, Kohei: did I miss anything? Is that what Excel does, specifically
> the adjustment described? All<number:*-style>  elements covered where it
> can occur?

lame I know, but as far as I can see ( and that's just with very limited
experience playing with this feature ) excel ( the one and only version
I checked ) seems to just insert 0..n characters as needed to fill the
available width. As far as I could see with some quick testing
left/right/center justification didn't seem to affect the output when
the repeat character was present in the format ( is that what you mean
by the adjustment you mention ? ) Anyway the behaviour above is how I
interpret what you wrote ( hopefully that matches what you meant ) The
problem is there may well be behavioural wrinkles yet unseen :-/
As for the style types that are covered the ones mentioned seem
reasonable ( I admit I don't quite know which style types available from
Excel's custom category tally with those we provide, I certainly see
numeric, currency, percentage, date & time type formats in there all of
which afaict can take the repeat character )

Do we need to cover what might happen in a word table ? ( for me I would
prefer to steer away from that if possible as I don't know what is
reasonable behaviour there ) Also do we need to specify the behaviour
with multiple occurrences of the 'number:fill-character' attributes? we
did mention that in a previous discussion ( i am of course ok with vague
to none ;-) )

Noel