ODF proposal for <number:fill-character> element

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Tue May 15 07:54:58 PDT 2012

Hi Noel,

On Thursday, 2012-05-10 20:19:17 +0100, Noel Power wrote:

> lame I know, but as far as I can see ( and that's just with very
> limited experience playing with this feature ) excel ( the one and
> only version I checked ) seems to just insert 0..n characters as
> needed to fill the available width. As far as I could see with some
> quick testing left/right/center justification didn't seem to affect
> the output when the repeat character was present in the format ( is
> that what you mean by the adjustment you mention ? )

Probably my bad wording.. I didn't mean justification would affect the
outcome, but presence of the element has a justifying effect, at the
beginning it right justifies the remainder and fills left, at the end it
left justifies the preceding string and fills right, in the middle it
left justifies the preceding and right justifies the trailing string and
fills in the middle. I guess this is what it does.

> Anyway the
> behaviour above is how I interpret what you wrote ( hopefully that
> matches what you meant ) The problem is there may well be
> behavioural wrinkles yet unseen :-/

Of course.. we can always blame the MS TC members for not having
intervened ;-)

> Do we need to cover what might happen in a word table ? ( for me I
> would prefer to steer away from that if possible as I don't know
> what is reasonable behaviour there )

Same for me. I'm not aware of such a feature in Word, which doesn't mean
anything of course. So maybe just restrict that in the proposal with
some wording such as "for spreadsheet cells, ..."

> Also do we need to specify the
> behaviour with multiple occurrences of the 'number:fill-character'
> attributes? we did mention that in a previous discussion ( i am of
> course ok with vague to none ;-) )

I thought I had covered that but I didn't ...

So, Thorsten, please in the proposal to the section with

"
[and list the <number:fill-character> element as a child element of each
of those]
"
add
"
[for each of those elements add wording that the element can occur only
once, for example]
This element can contain one instance of each of the following elements:
[and add <number:fill-character>]
"

Thanks
  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD