How to add color scales to ODF?

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Tue May 15 07:28:09 PDT 2012

Hi Markus,

On Saturday, 2012-05-12 02:33:42 +0200, Markus Mohrhard wrote:

> I think the best solution would be to move all
> conditional format entries out of the style section and only reference
> the styles later.
> [...]
> I just fear that this is such a big incompatible
> change that we will not get this into ODF.

Well, I think at some point/version ODF will have to be incompatible in
specific areas. Getting the TC to decide that already the next version
should be an incompatible one probably is the hard part..

> Advantages:

All ack'ed.

> Disadvantages:
> - incompatible changes
> - maybe would not make it through the oasis committee

Dito ;)

> The other not so clean solution but more likely accepted solution is
> to add also a new section for conditional formats. But instead of
> moving all conditional formatting information just store the range in
> this section.

This is an approach that should work and also pass the TC quite
unanimously..

> Advantages:
> - less invasive
> - will not break compatibility
>
> Disadvantages:
> - need to introduce some non style parts into the style section

Um.. why? what? how?

> - not easily extendable

I don't see a problem in your sketch to extend things, what would it be?

> - information about conditional formats are divided between two places
> - looks horribly wrong if you write a the structure into xml and think
> about what it actually means (I know this is a bad argument but I
> can't better describe my feeling here)

I can sense that feeling..

So, what we could do is prepare two proposals, the clean incompatible
one and the ugly more compatible one ;-)  It's then up to the TC to
decide.

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD