getting setup for gerrit (ACTION REQUIRED)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu May 17 08:41:52 PDT 2012

Hi,

we will move to gerrit soon and you need to take the following action now to
make that as painless as possible:

1) login with OpenID(1) at gerrit.documentfoundation.org
2) Click on Settings in the top-left corner
   (you might be redirected there on first login anyway)
3) Click on "Profile", pick your Username (your freenode IRC nick)
4) Click on "Contract Information" and add your git email if it is different
   from your OpenID one
4) Click on "SSH Public Keys"->"Add Key"
   Upload your ssh key, follow the guide link if you need help with that
5) Add the following to your ~/.ssh/config
Host tdfgerrit
    IdentityFile $PATH_TO_YOUR_PRIVATEKEY
    User $NICKNAME_AS_GIVEN_ON_GERRIT
    Port 29418
    Hostname gerrit.documentfoundation.org
6) You now should be able to do:
   git clone ssh://tdfgerrit/dev-tools

The steps above are required for the change to gerrit and you should do them
now as you otherwise will be completely locked out of commiting, once we
switched over!

If you are adventurous and want to play with gerrit, here is an example what
you can do with it (optional):

git clone ssh://tdfgerrit/core
cd core && \
    vim configure.in && \
    git commit -m "some awesome patch I did" configure.in
git push ssh://tdfgerrit/core HEAD:refs/for/master
# this puts your change to review you can now review it on the web UI
# or on the commandline
git push ssh://tdfgerrit/core HEAD:master
# this forces you change directly on master without review
# this might need extra ACLs, we will give them out once enough people joined

Note that the gerrit core repo right now is for playing only and should never
be merged pushed back into our freedesktop one! So feel free to give it some
abuse, but also keep it separate from your "real stuff" for now.

Happy playing! And please dont hesitate to ask or comment!

Best,

Bjoern

(1) Some OpenID providers:
    Yahoo, Google, myopenid, blogspot, wordpress
    livejournal, flickr, openid.org
    Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen
    Fedora: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/openid/id/mstahl