How to add color scales to ODF?

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sat May 19 05:22:33 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 16:59:30 Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Eike Rathke <erack at redhat.com> wrote:
> > So, what we could do is prepare two proposals, the clean incompatible
> > one and the ugly more compatible one ;-)  It's then up to the TC to
> > decide.
>
> I think this is a sensible approach.  However, given how slow the TC
> can be, I'm not sure if we can rely on them reaching a conclusion in
> time for 3.6 (my guess would be "no").  I would rather we pick one
> now, document it and use it. Then later when the TC decides what to do
> in the standard, we'll adopt to that.
>
> I just don't want to set a dangerous precedent where an implementer
> has to wait for the (quite time-consuming and slow-going)
> standardization process in order to get a feature implemented.  I can
> see similar situations popping up in the future, and I don't want the
> standardization process to be the bottleneck.  Note that this is not
> to bash the standard committee being slow.  That process is slow for a
> reason, and it's probably better that way.  I'm just trying to avoid
> setting undesirable precedents for similar situations that we will
> undoubtedly encounter again.

Even if the TC can be quite slow, may I suggest that you write up a document
about what you want to achieve and how and then reach out to other ODF using
communities?  Maybe they can find some problems with the suggested approach or
even improvements.

The obvious candidates would be Calligra and AOO, but I am sure there are many
more that could be potentially interested.

	-Inge