Is there a future for EPS vector graphics in LO ?

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Wed May 23 01:07:11 PDT 2012

Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 11:35 +0200, Fernand Vanrie wrote:
> > As EPS vector graphics are not correctly exported to PDF and also not
> > correctly printed. (LO use the lowres pixel representation and not the
> > EPS vector graphics), we need to make a decision on converting our EPS
> > based Graphics Library to a convenient Vector Graphic format.
>
> 	Ah ! I imagine this is one of those un-wanted side-effects from the
> conversion of our print output from Postscript (where we could just drop
> the EPS in) to PDF (where we cannot). That change also substantially
> improved printed speed and quality for transparency I imagine so ...

To turn that back into a development discussion - using ghostscript
out-of-process, like we do it for xpdf/poppler, to convert (e)ps
into something digestible by LibreOffice is one of the long-pending
solutions to that problem.

That needs a fair bit of hacking, but would love to provide you or
anyone else interested with code pointers.

> 	Either way sorry for the hassle; the hope is that the SVG rendering
> will eventually get good enough that it will provide a good solution
> here.

Depending on the svg features used, yeah. Filters like blur etc.
likely will take a fair while to *not* get broken down to rendered
bitmaps.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten