Is there a future for EPS vector graphics in LO ?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue May 22 08:15:01 PDT 2012

Hi there,

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 11:35 +0200, Fernand Vanrie wrote:
> As EPS vector graphics are not correctly exported to PDF and also not
> correctly printed. (LO use the lowres pixel representation and not the
> EPS vector graphics), we need to make a decision on converting our EPS
> based Graphics Library to a convenient Vector Graphic format.

	Ah ! I imagine this is one of those un-wanted side-effects from the
conversion of our print output from Postscript (where we could just drop
the EPS in) to PDF (where we cannot). That change also substantially
improved printed speed and quality for transparency I imagine so ...

> What will be the best choice ? WMF or EMF are doing well as long there
> are no gradients in the graphics.

	Right; I guess those are reasonable choices albeit nasty proprietary
binary formats :-) There is also the infamous Star-View meta-file.

> SVG still problematic when exported to PDF.

	Right; I suspect it depends on how it is imported, whether as vectors,
or as higher-res bitmaps (for embedded objects).

> Are there other formats suitable for correct printing and exporting to
> PDF Are there plans to make it possible to export EPS  to PDF ?

	I guess someone else would want to chip in here - but really, the best
place to ask is the users-list - this is not a development related
question about a code contribution.

	Either way sorry for the hassle; the hope is that the SVG rendering
will eventually get good enough that it will provide a good solution
here.

	ATB,

		Michael