build time optimization

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu May 24 02:54:51 PDT 2012

On Thursday 24 of May 2012, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> Then next step would be not to build external libs during LO build.
> There is a magic option: --with-system-libs.
> If you try this option on debian based systems (x86_64) you would
> probably end up with
> clucene dependency not met error.
> But wait, LO does it already during the build, doesn't it?
> It picks up the really fresh external lib, applies his own patches and
> install it to his working dir ...
> just to throw it away after make clean ;-(
>
> I'm thinking about another magic configure option, like
> --with-external-lib-directory=/opt/libo
> this would install all dependend libs to this directory during first
> build and this would *survive* the make clean
> call, so the next time all external lib artifacts would be reused from
> there.
> The best is, this option would also help to accelerate the build on
> other platforms!
>
> Unfortunately this option would not be so easy to implement, I guess.
> Another thoughts on that?

 We had a discussion about this recently, in the thread started at [1]. You
have roughly the following options:

- do not use 'make clean'
- install as many system libraries as you can (or even build them explicitly
from source), use --with-system-libraries and explicit --without-system-foo
as needed
- implement the --with-system-libraries=auto mentioned in [2] to save you the
explicit --without-system-foo hassle

 Implementing your suggestion is possibly more work than any of these.

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-April/030645.html
[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-April/030897.html

--
 Lubos Lunak