build time optimization

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Thu May 24 03:40:51 PDT 2012

Hi David,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM, David Ostrovsky <d.ostrovsky at idaia.de> wrote:

> I'm trying to accelerate LO (developer) build on linux_x86-64 system.
> Before you point me to wiki (distributed build, ccache and friends)
> and tell me to use ramdisk: I already did it all and it is still need to be
> optimized ;-)

Well - do the few external modules that you don't have in your system
really matter that much with regards to build time when you're already
using ccache?
Given that you build in the same directory always or use ccache's
prefix-option so that the cache can actually be used, the time needed
to build those few external libs is negligible, isn't it?

I rather have make clean really do make clean for everything.

> (And with other external libs you would probably end up messing around with
> pkg-config because pc files are missing)

Nah, you would just set PKG_CONFIG_PATH accordingly.

> I'm thinking about another magic configure option, like
> --with-external-lib-directory=/opt/libo

Not necessary IMHO. As you also want to be able to run your build LO
on your machine, don't you?
So you need those external libs available on your system, thus you
need to add the library path to your ld.so.conf or similar mechanism.

> this would install all dependend libs to this directory during first build
> and this would *survive* the make clean

It is pointless to have system libraries in a system that is not
"available" in the system, but only for the build.

> Unfortunately this option would not be so easy to implement, I guess.
> Another thoughts on that?

Yes, run ./configure --prefix /opt/lodpes ; make ; make install
on the external libs you're missing and export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/lodeps/share/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig
before running configure/autogen.sh
And see above for the runtime thing. you can also just install them to
/usr/local/ so you don't have to bother with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH/ld.so.conf

ciao
Christian