build time optimization

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu May 24 08:08:45 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:23 AM, David Ostrovsky <d.ostrovsky at idaia.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to accelerate LO (developer) build on linux_x86-64 system.
> Before you point me to wiki (distributed build, ccache and friends)
> and tell me to use ramdisk: I already did it all and it is still need to be
> optimized ;-)

It is not that certain that ramdisk on linux really helps.
ramdisk eat-up memory that cannot be used for fs-cache...
so ramdisk will increase the cache-miss at the kernel level...

ramdisk on Mac help tremendously because of how horrible HFS is lock-wise.

I have not tested ramdisk on Windows, so I do not know how effective it is.

Norbert