build time optimization

Enrico Weigelt enrico.weigelt at vnc.biz
Fri May 25 04:14:25 PDT 2012

Hi,

> Then next step would be not to build external libs during LO build.
> There is a magic option: --with-system-libs.
> If you try this option on debian based systems (x86_64) you would
> probably end up with
> clucene dependency not met error.

ACK. While hacking on dropping all bundled 3rdparty libs, I faced similar
problems. My workaround for now is to install all the deps locally
(in the user who's running the build) and pass proper pkg-config env
variables to ./configure.

> Just a matter of installing those two available clucene packages?
> Unfortunately not: as it turns out those packages are hopelessly
> outdated (2008).

Yes, it seems there had been a major rewrite of clucene, and the
two versions actually seem to be separate packages (from deployment
side) now. I was also considering providing an recent clucene
package for ubuntu (just didnt have the time to properly set up the
ubuntu build machinery on my side).

> I'm thinking about another magic configure option, like
> --with-external-lib-directory=/opt/libo
> this would install all dependend libs to this directory during first
> build and this would *survive* the make clean
> call, so the next time all external lib artifacts would be reused
> from there.

I wouldn't recommend this, as it makes the build machinery even more
complex. Better write a small shell script that builds the missing
deps (those not already in your distro) to some proper prefix and
then calls the LO build machinery with proper parameters (eg. pkg-config
search pathes).

I've already hacked up a little bit, but not really useful yet.
My plan is to package all the yet missing deps for the major distros
(in my case: ubuntu) and throw them out of the LO tree entirely.

cu
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Enrico Weigelt
VNC - Virtual Network Consult GmbH
Head Of Development

Äußere Bayreuther Str. 55, D - 90409 Nürnberg
Tel: +49 911 72303-30
Fax: +49 911 72303-50

enrico.weigelt at vnc.biz; www.vnc.de