build time optimization

Enrico Weigelt enrico.weigelt at vnc.biz
Fri May 25 04:25:11 PDT 2012

Hi,

> It is not that certain that ramdisk on linux really helps.
> ramdisk eat-up memory that cannot be used for fs-cache...
> so ramdisk will increase the cache-miss at the kernel level...

I've used ramdisks for automatic mass builds on some other projects,
and it really helped (IIRC factor >10). But the scenario there was
a bit different: much smaller codebases and the machines had a lot
of ram (16GB), and i didn't want to keep the actual build output,
just know whether it builds at all and certain post-tests succeed.

I guess, we only find out if we try ;-o

> I have not tested ramdisk on Windows, so I do not know how effective
> it is.

On what I remember from certain large enterprise hosting projects,
Windows (at least pre Win7) was pretty bad in IO (the OS itself keeps
the stores quite busy for certain housekeeping tasks, so at least on
short load peaks that was quite unpleasent - no idea if that really
matters much in this scenario).

cu
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Enrico Weigelt
VNC - Virtual Network Consult GmbH
Head Of Development

Äußere Bayreuther Str. 55, D - 90409 Nürnberg
Tel: +49 911 72303-30
Fax: +49 911 72303-50

enrico.weigelt at vnc.biz; www.vnc.de