Change in core[master]: restore --enable-symbols option again -- was FYI: Cleanup of debug options

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Nov 7 07:20:45 PST 2012

On Wednesday 07 of November 2012, d.ostrovsky at idaia.de wrote:
> [bringing the discussion to ML as it related to other thread on this topic]
>
> Quoting "Lubos Lunák (via Code Review)" <gerrit at gerrit.libreoffice.org>:
> > Lubos Lunák has posted comments on this change.
> >
> > Change subject: restore --enable-symbols option again
> It seems to be not so easy to differentiate between two approaches:
> * --enable-debug => which can be enhanced with selective debuginfo
> * --enable-symbols (or whatever new name we want to give to that old
> option)
>
> one option modifies optimization, another not
> one option has impact on stl library, another not

 The only option that affects STL is --enable-dbgutil, --enable-debug has no
effect there whatsoever (other than its overall effect).

> > It also might be a good idea to reconsider the "symbols" name,
> > unless you want to repeatedly explain it to people who for some
> > reason keep getting confused by all this stuff over and over again
> > (it's a lot of fun I can assure you, and "debug" vs "debug symbols"
> > is just asking for it).
>
> will do. Do you have any preferences?
> --with-profile-info
> --with-backtrace-info

 I don't. I have no intentions to be the one explaining what it does.

> > File solenv/gbuild/gbuild.mk
> > Line 134: gb_SYMBOL := $(true)
> > This makes --enable-debug/dbgutil and --enable-symbols dependant,
> > even though your configure checks say that should not be used together.
>
> yes, these options are mutually exclusive.
>
> > Or, put differently, this breaks the selective debuginfo functionality.
>
> Why? gb_SYMBOL is used only in --enable-symbols case.
> My intention was not to touch --enable-debug/dbgutil case at all.

ifneq ($(strip $(DEBUG)),)
gb_DEBUGLEVEL := 1
+ifneq ($(gb_DEBUGLEVEL),0)
+gb_SYMBOL := $(true)
+ifeq ($(gb_SYMBOL),$(true))
+gb_LinkTarget_CXXFLAGS += $(GGDB2)

 I.e. --enable-debug/dbgutil leads to gb_SYMBOL being true as well, which
globally sets the -g flag, overriding any selective use.

 I suggest you just drop the gb_DEBUGLEVEL -> gb_SYMBOL setting, that'll
keep --enable-symbols separate from --enable-debug, so it shouldn't break
anything else. That'll of course still leave two different systems for
setting -g in there, but this whole debug stuff is such an entangled mess
that it won't make a big difference in the end.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz