Change in core[master]: restore --enable-symbols option again -- was FYI: Cleanup of debug options

David Ostrovsky d.ostrovsky at idaia.de
Wed Nov 7 07:52:16 PST 2012

Am 07.11.2012 16:20, schrieb Lubos Lunak:

>> >will do. Do you have any preferences?
>> >--with-profile-info
>> >--with-backtrace-info
>   I don't. I have no intentions to be the one explaining what it does.
If no one has any opinion on it, I'm going to name it --enable-symbols-only.

>> >yes, these options are mutually exclusive.

>> >Why? gb_SYMBOL is used only in --enable-symbols case.
>> >My intention was not to touch --enable-debug/dbgutil case at all.
> ifneq ($(strip $(DEBUG)),)
> gb_DEBUGLEVEL := 1
> +ifneq ($(gb_DEBUGLEVEL),0)
> +gb_SYMBOL := $(true)
> +ifeq ($(gb_SYMBOL),$(true))
> +gb_LinkTarget_CXXFLAGS += $(GGDB2)
>
>   I.e. --enable-debug/dbgutil leads to gb_SYMBOL being true as well, which
> globally sets the -g flag, overriding any selective use.
>
>   I suggest you just drop the gb_DEBUGLEVEL -> gb_SYMBOL setting, that'll
> keep --enable-symbols separate from --enable-debug, so it shouldn't break
> anything else.
Thank you for the clarification, missed it.
>   That'll of course still leave two different systems for
> setting -g in there, but this whole debug stuff is such an entangled mess
> that it won't make a big difference in the end.
May be after restoring that old --enable-symbols way, we could refactor
it and merge
these two different systems for setting -g like you suggested? At
upcoming LO Hackfest?

Thanks
David