binfilter removed in LO 4.0 : how to communicate on this change?

Jean-Baptiste Faure jbf.faure at sud-ouest.org
Fri Nov 9 23:17:51 PST 2012

Hi,

In order to make this change as smooth as possible, I think we should
give clear and complete information to the users:

- release a complete list of legacy formats which are dropped. Is there
something else than sd? formats (StarOffice 5 formats) ?

- perhaps it would be fair to add a warning message when the user try to
open a file that is in a dropped format

- what the user can do with its old files: I think it is not enough to
say "you have to convert them with an old version of LibreOffice". For
example, I have old sdw and sxw files in my laboratory diary and I do
not want to lose their modification date if I convert them in ODF. What
should I do and what advice I could give to an end-user who is in the
same position?

Best regards.
JBF