binfilter removed in LO 4.0 : how to communicate on this change?

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 01:00:15 PST 2012

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Jean-Baptiste Faure
<jbf.faure at sud-ouest.org> wrote:
> - release a complete list of legacy formats which are dropped. Is there
> something else than sd? formats (StarOffice 5 formats) ?

It affects only old binary formats of StarOffice 5 and earlier versions.

BTW shoudn't we remove traces of binfiler from filter/, too?
"cd filter && git grep BF_" gives a lot of hits.

> - what the user can do with its old files: I think it is not enough to
> say "you have to convert them with an old version of LibreOffice". For
> example, I have old sdw and sxw files in my laboratory diary and I do
> not want to lose their modification date if I convert them in ODF. What
> should I do and what advice I could give to an end-user who is in the
> same position?

sxw and other XML based formats are not affected.

I opened an old sdw file (rsc\doku\feinkonz.43\rsc.sdw from
LibreOrfice source) and it did not have modification date, In fact it
had no metadata at all. Are you sure that this format supports
metadata? Of do you mean the modification date at the file system
level? touch -r file.sdw file.odt

Best regards,
Andras