Build environment for official win32 builds

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Nov 16 10:05:52 PST 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 15:32 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > in addition to above points also there are also open questions around
> > how we would run unit tests in a MinGW cross-compilation environment
> > and how well gdb works on Windows; the MSVC C++ debugger is really quite
> > good.
>
> What about native compiling (not crosscompile) on win32 using gcc ?

	Anything is possible in LibreOffice :-) having said that - personally
I'd want to see that adding support for this doesn't tangle the build
system too badly - particularly wrt. confusing our mingw
cross-compilation support.

	The real question is - what is the deliverable here ? building on
windows under cygwin is -horribly- slow - if we can use the same
compiler to cross-compile from Linux (as we can) and build around 50x
faster - why would we want to do work & maintenance to keep that
going ? :-)

	But of course, if you want to do that port, maintain it, and you plan
to ship binaries of your own from it (which will be bigger and slower
than the official ones) then you're more than welcome to - and if the
final patch looks sensible we'll merge it of course though I can't see
us using it as I say. Hopefully (when fully finished) the move to
gnumake will at least strip out one layer of (dmake) grief that makes
such things more painful than they really need to be.

	ATB,

		Michael.