Build environment for official win32 builds

Enrico Weigelt enrico.weigelt at vnc.biz
Fri Nov 16 11:30:33 PST 2012

Hi,

> 	Anything is possible in LibreOffice :-) having said that -
> 	personally
> I'd want to see that adding support for this doesn't tangle the build
> system too badly - particularly wrt. confusing our mingw
> cross-compilation support.

I have to admit, I haven't tried it yet, but _assuming_ it is just a
normal GNU toolchain that just happens to produce win32 binaries,
it should make things easier in the long run.

Of course, we need to cleanly differentiate between normal and
crosscompiling (IOW: not assuming crosscompile on mingw32 target).

> 	The real question is - what is the deliverable here ? building on
> windows under cygwin is -horribly- slow - if we can use the same
> compiler to cross-compile from Linux (as we can) and build around 50x
> faster - why would we want to do work & maintenance to keep that
> going ? :-)

Oh! Do you know where that slowdown is coming from ?

> But of course, if you want to do that port, maintain it, and you
> plan to ship binaries of your own from it (which will be bigger and slower
> than the official ones)

Why so ? Is GCC on win32 _so_ bad compared to MSVC ?

> Hopefully (when fully finished) the move to gnumake will at least strip
> out one layer of (dmake) grief that makes such things more painful than
> they really need to be.

Does this also mean kicking out autotools ?

cu
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Enrico Weigelt