Calc / Kerning

Bernhard Schiffner bernhard.schiffner at gmx.net
Fri Nov 16 11:18:02 PST 2012

Am Freitag, 16. November 2012, 18:17:09 schrieb Michael Meeks:
> On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 11:06 -0500, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> > On 11/15/2012 04:09 PM, Bernhard Schiffner wrote:
> > > (this is my first commit here so please be patient ...)
>
> 	Drat - it's not as easy as I had thought; which is a shame.
>
> > > I'am missing the kerning feature for cells showing the result of a
> > > formula.
>
> 	Right.
>
> > So, there is a technical reason why achieving that for formula result is
> > very difficult, I'm afraid.
>
> 	I guess part of the problem is the difference between ScStringCell and
> ScEditCell - but also the string types that we hand around inside the
> formula engine all being String or at best rtl::OUString which has no
> formatting. I imagine an EditTextObject is an extremely heavy-weight
> replacement too ;-)
>
> > Of course, it is *possible* to support rich text properties in text
> > that's a formula result, but that would require intimate knowledge of
> > the inner working of Calc's cell text handling, and would probably
> > requires a lot of code changes.
>
> 	I played with the competition quickly; it seems they don't do this
> either right ?
Let's do it better.
(See below.)

> 	Bernhard - anything else you're interested in hacking on that might be
> easier ? :-)

For sure! :-)

(My question raised from inserting spreadsheets into lowriter documents where
the insertions were visible at the first glance, because of the use of advanced
formating.)

But understanding the problem as Kohei explained it I don't want to give up
the idea itself.

What about this:
While it seems very "bloated" to  carry all rich text formating _inside_
formula cells, it might be possible to create an overlay using advanced
formating _outside_.
Think of this as having a separate spreadsheet (linked 1:1 to the generating
spreadsheet) with the "only" property to add formating to the pointed results.
(Export as text -> reformat)

Do you see a chance to solve the problem this way?

> 	ATB,
>
> 		Michael.

Thank you for all advice!

Bernhard

(Thinking a second time about the said, I start to like the idea of a special
sheet type dedicated to layout problems.)