what's the problem with system cairo ?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Nov 19 01:31:32 PST 2012

Hi Enrico,

	Dropping VCL and moving to something else is a gargantuan task. It is
worth discussing -only- if we can do it completely, and the target
toolkit meets all the platform, licensing, maturity and feature
requirements we have. As far as I know as of today, no non-VCL toolkit
does this. A further pre-condition would be having the man-decade of
resource available to finish and test a complete transition to said new
toolkit. Then - finally, if we have that man-decade it's not clear that
this would be a priority - we have plenty of big problems around the
place.

	If you want to do something constructive in this area - then moving
away from VCL's horrific positional widget set is something that starts
to reduce our toolkit API surface, improves our visual look, and allows
more flexibility for native widget choice in the future - checkout:

	http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/WidgetLayout

	And get stuck in ! :-) we have a feature-freeze in ~2 weeks - the more
commonly-used dialogs we can get ported to .ui files before then the
better we'll look for 4.0 :-)

	In the meantime discussing at length things that are not going to
happen serves little useful purpose than creating noise ( it seems to me
).

	Thanks !

		Michael.