Build environment for official win32 builds

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 10:17:58 PST 2012

On 16/11/12 20:30, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
>> 	The real question is - what is the deliverable here ? building on
>> windows under cygwin is -horribly- slow - if we can use the same
>> compiler to cross-compile from Linux (as we can) and build around 50x
>> faster - why would we want to do work & maintenance to keep that
>> going ? :-)
>
> Oh! Do you know where that slowdown is coming from ?

evidently local file system (NTFS) is rather slow, and process creation
is very slow (which is important for any make-based build system).

but the slowness of building locally on Windows is nothing compared to
the glacial pace at which a Windows build proceeds over network file
systems like SMB; fortunately nobody has been doing that for years...

>> Hopefully (when fully finished) the move to gnumake will at least strip
>> out one layer of (dmake) grief that makes such things more painful than
>> they really need to be.
>
> Does this also mean kicking out autotools ?

LO doesn't use autotools, only autoconf.  but of course many bundled
external libraries use full autotools.