bundled saxon considered harmful

d.ostrovsky at idaia.de d.ostrovsky at idaia.de
Thu Oct 4 05:37:27 PDT 2012

Hi,

Quoting David Tardon <dtardon at redhat.com>:

> It would be the committer's responsibility to build the extension and
> continue maintaining the code (if there is anything to maintain there
> :-) I suppose that unfortunate maintainer is going to be me, unless we
> decide to put the code in a repo under libreoffice on fd.o; then
> everyone of us would have access to it (but see the pros and cons in my
> original email). Of course I welcome volunteers :-)

Why not use an gerrit project for it?
You can even replicate it to (read only) guthub repo (like openstack
project) or where you want.

What you get is:
1. Proven patch review process
2. Commiters and approval rights are already established if they
inherited from core project (or could be project based)
3. Low entry barrier for new contributors
4. Best visibility and transparency
... just keep reading Norbert's FAQs here
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-June/033872.html
to find more reasons.

While i am aware that not all our devs are gerrit funs,
i would go even further and suggest to open gerrit for other
LO extensions and non core libraries and tools as well
like cppunit, cmis, mdds, etc.

wikimedia already doing just that (and many other too, including
gerrit itself):
see project names https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/status:open,n,z

Regards
David