ENABLE_SYMBOLS=true does nothing

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 15:11:28 PDT 2012

On 30/10/12 22:35, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> 2012/10/30 Kohei Yoshida <kohei.yoshida at gmail.com>:
>> Well, the idea is to *just* add -g to the flags without modifying any other
>> flags, and *just* remove -Wl,-S from LDFLAGS without removing other flags.
>> Changing other flags will change the generated binaries which may affect
>> reproducibility of certain bugs and/or performance profile of the
>> executable, and I'd like to avoid that (if we can).
>>

> I have to agree with Kohei. The enable symbol option was the best and
> only way to get a build that you could use to profile calc.
>
> To get useful profile runs it was necessary to compile with
> optimization because of the heavy template use inside calc (mdds, ...)
>
> Are there any plans to provide a similar option again?

the --enable-symbols option and related ENABLE_SYMBOLS variable were
removed because nobody used or needed them (except for release builders,
who (it was argued) can just set CXXFLAGS instead).

since there is now evidence of actual users of this functionality
perhaps that removal should be reconsidered.