ENABLE_SYMBOLS=true does nothing

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:35:19 PDT 2012

2012/10/30 Kohei Yoshida <kohei.yoshida at gmail.com>:
> On 10/30/2012 05:27 PM, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday 30 of October 2012, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
>>>
>>> So, this script can add -g to the CXXFLAGS, but unfortunately the
>>> symbols get stripped during linking because of -Wl,-S option passed to
>>> the linker.
>>>
>>> To work around this, I need to find a way to not add this -S option to
>>> the linker flag in my wrapper script, but so far I'm a bit lost.  It's
>>> easier to add an additional flag but is very hard to remove flag
>>> manually.
>>>
>>> Any clever ideas?
>>

>>   make CFLAGS='-O -g' CXXFLAGS='-O -g' LDFLAGS=''
>>
>>   If that doesn't work then I need to fix it.
>

> Well, the idea is to *just* add -g to the flags without modifying any other
> flags, and *just* remove -Wl,-S from LDFLAGS without removing other flags.
> Changing other flags will change the generated binaries which may affect
> reproducibility of certain bugs and/or performance profile of the
> executable, and I'd like to avoid that (if we can).

I have to agree with Kohei. The enable symbol option was the best and
only way to get a build that you could use to profile calc.

To get useful profile runs it was necessary to compile with
optimization because of the heavy template use inside calc (mdds, ...)

Are there any plans to provide a similar option again?

Regards,
Markus