ccache for windows

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 17:29:20 PDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Mat M <matm at gmx.fr> wrote:
> Hello
>
> ccache for windows under cygwin is working. That's a fact.
> ccache is provided as a binary in the dev-tools repo.
> As provided by kendy on
> http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/blog/archives/monthly/2011-04.html, I
> set it and my config_host.mk confirmed it.
>
> But is it normal that ccache on 3.6 branch only uses 3Gb ? I find it very
> low, compared to all binary files produced.
>
> Could someone on linux give its ccache stats to compare ?

here is my linux tinderbox stats:
$ ccache -s
cache directory                     /home/n_th/.ccache
cache hit                       80679599
cache miss                       2662640
called for link                  3141612
multiple source files              13767
compile failed                   6062048
ccache internal error                558
preprocessor error                261427
cache file missing                   590
not a C/C++ file                 1123396
autoconf compile/link            5287939
unsupported compiler option      4159126
no input file                    6913498
files in cache                    183287
cache size                           7.2 Gbytes
max cache size                       8.0 Gbytes

but bear in mid that this has been building 20-50 time a days of quite
some times now...

here the stats for a windows buildbot:
$ ccache.exe -s
cache directory                     C:\\lo/.ccache
cache hit                        3957024
cache miss                        387960
compile failed                       288
ccache internal error                  4
preprocessor error                    56
no input file                       9648
files in cache                    138363
cache size                          18.1 Gbytes
max cache size                      20.0 Gbytes

again over time the size tend to creep up to the max allowed, so won't
tell you much...

but comparing the two (that is the average file size of files in
cache), one can expect, all things being equal, the ccache size on
Windows to be roughly 3.5 time bigger on windows than Linux