anybody else having segmentation faults while building master today?

Noel Grandin noel at peralex.com
Fri Sep 14 06:08:21 PDT 2012

On 2012-09-14 14:06, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Noel,
>
> On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 13:31 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
>> /bin/bash: line 1: 19440 Segmentation fault      (core dumped)
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/noel/libo/solver/unxlngx6/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}}
>> ../unxlngx6/bin/makedepend @/tmp/mkiODjuI > ../unxlngx6/misc/o__cpp.dpcc
>> dmake:  Error code 139, while making '../unxlngx6/obj/_cpp.obj'
> 	Nope - not having those - although with makedepend it could be related
> to your all those meta-characters in your path ;-> (or not).
>
> 	I guess ensuring that /tmp/mkiODjuI is not removed, and/or running
> makedepend under the debugger - by tweaking the makefiles is prolly the
> only way out.

LOL. So after much investigation and running the thing under a debugger,
it turns out it was all my fault.

I had set the stack size way down using "ulimit -s" because I was
tracking down a recursive bug, and it was generating huge stacktraces
before blowing up :-)

And it also turns out the makedepend allocates a truly large chunk of
stuff on the stack, triggering the stack limit.

Who knew unix could be so unfriendly when hitting the stack guard page?

Sigh.
We (Linux) still have a very long way to go in terms of making
developers lives easier.
Honestly, I had a better debugging experience 15 years ago when working
under OpenVMS.
15 years!!!!!