Is there easy way to find unused .idl files ?

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 04:01:44 PDT 2012

On 20/09/12 12:36, Matúš Kukan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently I've touched .idl files in
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=b7c41f1d1fcabc8f4abc670d5a18546a117b540a
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=1f77f1ac177521698ee7c978f218127cb5840046
>
> And I wonder if there is an easy way how to tell, they can be removed.
> For files added with gb_UnoApi_add_idlfile_noheader, one probably have
> to grep in the code.

technically all of those are "unused" because they are mere
documentation.  but that documentation is still nice to have :)

well, Noel is currently working on converting these to the less-unused
new-style services...

> But maybe for files in gb_UnoApi_add_idlfile_nohdl, it is possible to
> know they are unused if there is no #include foo.hpp ?
> And something similar for gb_UnoApi_add_idlfile ?

that isn't sufficient: it's possible that it's only used from Java or
Python code, or worse, only used from an extension that is outside the
LO repo (though probably the latter case is rare, and indeed begs the
question what it's doing in offapi then...).

> Is there something better than check each and every .idl file ?
> I think we would find few(many?) unused ones.

my opinion is that while there are probably a few more useless relics
like ProductRegistration, IDL removal requires a case-by-case review anyway.