What features of LO are non-ODFv1.2?

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 08:13:37 PDT 2012

On 28/09/12 16:27, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>> They may not display documents written in LO exactly the same as LO does,
>> because they are free to ignore properties that makes "Extended" part.
>
> Surely any ODF imlementation is free to *display* documents however it
> wishes, even if it would implement  (in the sense of "round-trip") the
> document exactly. The *rendering* is completely unspecified by ODF,
> isn't it?

rendering is quite constrained by the ODF spec but there are still some
undefined areas; especially how an ODF consumer should handle
contradictory constraints is not specified at all, things like what
should we do with a table width of 10cm with 4 rows that are 5cm wide each.

also there are things that affect rendering that are not obvious, for
example having a hyphenation extension for the document language
installed or not (or just one that does hyphenation differently) may
have an effect on the layout.

> If you want a standardized rendering, you need to look at some other
> format, like PDF perhaps? Or TeX ;)

yes PDF will certainly have the highest layout fidelity. that goes hand
in hand with it being not easily editable :)