officecfg/registry: removal of items

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 05:44:22 PDT 2013

[Thomas, I assume you don't mind moving this to the ML.]

On 04/02/2013 09:43 PM, Thomas Arnhold wrote:
> Is it safe to remove items (which are marked as deprecated) from
> officecfg/registry/schema/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcs?
>
> I my case I mean: Slot (as fallout from Tor's commit a2bf98857),
> SendCrashMail and UseMailUI. I did have a short look on other items like
> SolarizationThreshold which are completely unused, too. Are they in that
> list for the case that such config item appears in an old config file
> and get's "handled"?

Generally, the .xcs data makes up part of LO's interface that external
code can interact with, and as such should remain compatible.

In practice, there is old cruft where it is so unlikely that it is used
by any external code that it should be safe to clean it up.  (Similar to
some UNOIDL stuff that we got rid of.)  Also, the configmgr
implementation should just ignore any .xcu data for which there is no
matching .xcs data.

If in doubt, a good compromise might be to mark things as deprecated
first, and only actually remove later.  (And then, mark the relevant
commits as "API CHANGE" so we can include them in our list of
incompatible changes.)

Stephan