GSoC 2013

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Apr 9 09:56:12 PDT 2013

Hi Shruti,

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 20:42 +0530, shruti gupta wrote:
> I am a third year undergraduate student pursuing a degree in
> Information Systems. I am interested to work with LibreOffice for GSoC
> 2013.

	Sounds like you have a great skill set :-) welcome to LibreOffice.

> I am really interested in Android Application Development. I have gone
> through the list of projects provided on GSoC-2013 Ideas page. I am
> interested in the following projects:

	There is already significant interest in the Android / Impress Remote
and some very good candidates that I'm aware of - it is also a task that
can only accept one student.

>       * User Interface Projects

	This is a scalable task though:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#Dialog_Widget_Conversion

	Which would be fun and useful too - and potentially have some
application to mobile devices if we can map glade-XML to native android
widgets in some cases in the future.

	In general though we're trying to significantly reduce LibreOffice's
dependence on Java - since we can't rely on it being there on Windows,
and of course the first use pays a very heavy JVM bootstrap penalty.

> My skill set includes: C/C++, Java, basic Python, Android Application
> Development.

	It's a good set; have you considered this project:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#Package_and_improving_LibreOffice_Viewer_for_Android

	It might match your skills well.

> Currently, I am going through the pointers provided. It would be great
> if anyone could provide insights on the same that could be helpful
> towards better execution of the project.

	Failing that - there was a task to do some work on pluggable python UI
that Matus might be able to specify / mentor you for: to allow arbitrary
python scripts / extensions to render arbitrary UI elements in place of
our current toolbars / menus. That might fit your skill set well if
you're interested in UI hacking. Matus - when you've done your setup /
heavy-lifting there it would be great to get a GSOC task specced up
here.

	HTH,

		Michael.