plans with libmerged

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Apr 9 10:24:41 PDT 2013

Hi Matus,

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 15:25 +0200, Matúš Kukan wrote:
> So - it should now work in master.
> One problem is using ure libraries in libmerged.
> javaldx had problems to find libmerged because it's not in ure.

	Right; interesting.

> I plan to merge some urelibs and see how it works but that can't be
> used in regular builds I am afraid because of compatibility issues.
> And maybe some more regular libraries.

	So - it is probable that the GNU linker for Linux at least, tolerates
symlinks very nicely. So, I -suspect- that as long as you create
compatibility symlinks:

	ln -s program/libmerged.so ure/lib/libuno_sal.so.3

	etc. then I imagine the run-time linker will work out they're all the
same (massive) library and link it just once; while ensuring that other
things linked to the original URE (like extensions) carry on working.
But that needs careful testing obviously.

	Of course, that's a Linux-only hack, but ... it might work nicely - I'd
be interested to know :-) It seems to me that the biggest benefits of
LTO would come from in-lining lots of sal/ stuff - string methods etc.

	Anyhow - glad that libmerged is working nicely again.

	Thanks !

		Michael.