claims of python unit test un-debugability considered somewhat exaggerated

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 07:35:07 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 01:45 +0200, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 11:26 -0400, David Malcolm wrote:

[...snip...]

> > http://docs.python.org/devguide/gdb.html#gdb-7-and-later
> >
> > In particular:
> >   (gdb) py-list
> > should give you python source code for the current python frame.
> >

> Works like a charm here on OpenSUSE 12.3 too, with system python3.3:

[...snip...]

Good to hear.

> I must be missing something, but i didn't find a standard way how to
> install Tools/gdb/libpython.py from cpython, so i just cloned the
> upstream python, with
> hg clone http://hg.python.org/cpython
>
> and borrowed that lib from there (sourcing it manually on gdb):
> cpython/Tools/gdb/libpython.py

You can grab that file directly from hg using:
http://hg.python.org/cpython/raw-file/default/Tools/gdb/libpython.py
(where the "default" means the default branch i.e. the trunk for
upstream CPython 3.* development).

> I wrote a detailed summary on wiki:
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Python_Unit_Tests
That:
  su -c "debuginfo-install python3-3.3.0-1.fc18.x86_64"
can probably be replaced with just:
  su -c "debuginfo-install python3"
since debuginfo-install has the smarts to pick the debuginfo package
with the correct NVR (you *have* to have the debuginfo package for
exactly the build of python3 that you're using, otherwise the debug
information will be out of sync with the machine code, and gdb will
understandably get too confused to give useful information).

FWIW there are some more notes on how I made the debugging "just work"
on Fedora here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EasierPythonDebugging
if you're looking to do the same for your distro.

Hope this is helpful
Dave